Monday 25 June 2012

Appearance is Everything for a Business Website or Blog

Lately, I have just been going through business websites and blogs to see what the owners have done with regard to appearance. The experience has been exciting and disappointing at the same time.  Here is why.

I have seen a number of beautiful websites and blogs that held my attention just after they loaded. The pictures, where there were pictures, were crystal clear, the pages were well arranged, the colors were good, the font type was warm and the layout just stood out.

Notice that my attention was not held by the "content" on the websites or blogs. I had not read anything, just looked at this and that and I liked what I saw. Then, I read a few articles and moved on, happy to have seen something beautiful and insightful.

That was the wonderful part.

There were other websites and blogs that just didn't make sense. The colors were either too bright or dull without justification, the pages were disorganized and stuff was literally strewn all over, the pictures were just bad and stuff like that. I don't have to mention that when I persevered this needless torture for an unknown martyrdom cause to go through the content, I felt very disappointed. Why, I wondered, would someone do this to their business?

If you have read Tsun Tzu's The Art of War, or The 48 Laws of Power and The Art of Seduction, both by Robert Greene, or The Prince by Machiavelli or any other such text, you probably know that how you present yourself counts. These are hardly books on business, but you learn so much from them that applies to business. After all, isn't everything a business of one kind or another?

The point is: people spend more time on good looking websites and blogs than on bad ones. Appearance is a calling card, you get it right at that level and you are on the path to success. Do not be beguiled however that appearance is everything. Make sure you compliment it with good content.

As always, let me know what you think. And if you need help with your blog or website, send me an email.

Have a beautiful week!

Related Articles: Why Your Business Needs a Blog ASAP!

                       5 Tips on Content Marketing to Help You Get Found on the Internet


- sirkarani@gmail.com -

1 comment:

  1. Appearance is Everything for a Business Website or Blog. It is a catchy title, but I have to differ with you. The most common mantra in web design circles is that content is king. You can wow people for a few minutes with good looking web pages, but you cannot sustain their attention with looks. It is the content that keeps visitors on your website or blog for more than a few minutes.

    Nevertheless, if you were to argue that looks and content should be carefully balanced, I would be inclined to agree with you totally.

    Actually, who said that web visitors are not entitled to BOTH good looks and good content? That is the challenge for you and me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. We value your comments.

How to Sign Documents on the Electronic Signature Platform

By Kevin Peterson Signatures play an important role in the various types of business transactions. Most businesses in the world require...