Wednesday 28 September 2011

Don’t Tarmac, Make Some Money Online --- Part 3


Editor: Today we bring you the third and last piece of Ondieki's article. We are looking forward to your feedback. Happy reading!

5. PLATFORMS WHERE ONE CAN FIND JOBS ONLINE

There are pro-freelancer sites coming up each day; sites that help people give and receive jobs.

In this section, we shall sample a few of those sites, analyzing what they focus on and the general characteristics of the sites.

I shall list only six among the many sites available.


There are many more sites; so it is upon you to decide which is the most suitable.

6. THE HASSLES OF WORKING FROM KENYA

There is no big trouble working from Kenya provided you have the right materials for your job. With the improved telecommunication networks and as mobile providers compete to give the most cutting-edge data services, the working part isn’t troublesome.

The real trouble comes when you are receiving payments. Most employers pay via PayPal, which is arguably the best payment platform online. Withdrawing PayPal in Kenya is no walk in the park because, as far as I am concerned, no bank supports the withdrawal, or has a consistent withdrawal mode through a credit card. PayPal mostly supports American banks.

In my initial days of online working, I was almost giving up. I had some dollars in my PayPal which were mere figures because I couldn’t get the money into my wallet. Before I hanged my boots, I did post a desperate question on Google Baraza asking for anyone who could help. I was glad to be connected to www.paympesa.com, a site that converts PayPal money to M-Pesa. So, I was able to process the payment to my M-Pesa. You should have seen how happy I was upon receiving the money.

There are other withdrawal avenues too, but I have realised that there is a lot of fraud going on through PayPal, so some sites do not like Kenyan PayPal account holders to work with them. I could have mentioned names but I am not too sure if that will be wise. PayMpesa.com says that is the reason why it takes 5 days for them to process PayPal money into one’s M-Pesa.

There is another site, www.kenyabuy.com, which allows you to shop with the PayPal money. You link the purchase to your nearest supermarket then you shop for goods. The Kenyabuy guys do the shopping for you then send the receipt electronically to the supermarket you choose. It takes no more than four days. I tried it and my shopping was ready for picking in less than 24 hours.

Another withdrawal option, much similar to PayMpesa.com because they also send PayPal money to your M-Pesa, is The Kenyan Store. They promise to deliver the money within the day. I tried them and they, too, did not disappoint.

If your employer pays through Moneybookers, there is epay Kenya for that. It offers an exclusive Moneybookers-Mpesa withdrawal option; and they promise to pay within an hour.

Another challenge for a Kenyan worker is getting the first assignment. Most employers prefer native English speakers (especially in writing jobs), or at least people with experience. But with resilience, you will not miss something to do.

Contact me at ondiekielvis@gmail.com if you have a question.





1 comment:

  1. Kenyapesa.com also offers withdrawals from PayPal and Moneybookers to your Mpesa account.

    Their rates are very reasonable and the cash is delivered within 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. We value your comments.

How to Sign Documents on the Electronic Signature Platform

By Kevin Peterson Signatures play an important role in the various types of business transactions. Most businesses in the world require...